Cake – I am really a fan.
Rum –I am 100 fans cheering in unison.
Chocolate Rum Cake? Yes, please! Since I don’t cook with dairy very often, and my sweetie can’t eat it, I rarely buy boxed cakes, and I don’t make most of the cake recipes I find in cookbooks because most of them are crafted for dairy. Knowing some of the basic ingredients for a small cake, I can make one from scratch as long as I have the right ingredients, and in this case, since I am making a non-dairy cake, I may as well take the next step and leave out the egg, making it vegan. I just upped the challenge ante a bit, didn’t I? I challenged myself to create a delicious dark chocolate rum cake from scratch. Can I do it? We’ll see.
I know what I like to eat and the flavor combinations I adore. Chocolate and spice, rum and coconut milk, vanilla and agave – all of these combined? Decadent and Divine!
I accepted my personal challenge and dove in. Flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, oil, coconut milk, rum, vanilla, agave syrup, chili powder (just a pinch, and all spice. Mmmm… The batter tasted delicious,
Here is my new recipe for Ch0colate Vanilla Rum cake:
- 1.5 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup non-dairy Special Dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/ cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup dark or gold rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp agave syrup (or 2 if sweeter cake desired)
- pinch of chili powder
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- There is no rhyme or reason the order of contents for this recipe. I like to measure out all my dry ingredients and add them one-by-one into a large mixing bowl.
- Measure out the wet ingredients and add them one-by-one to the mixing bowl.
- Mix until all ingredients are blended.
- Grease an 8x8 pyrex
- Bake for 30-35 minutes
- When cooled, remove from pyrex and sprinkle with powdered sugar
The result! YUM. I’m pleased.
You can choose to make this cake without the rum. If so, I’d suggest substituting the rum for an additional 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Happy baking!